Bude Castle

Private Client | Bude, North Cornwall

"The Castle" is a listed, castellated house built in 1826 by Sir Goldsworthy Gurney, a distinguished Cornish scientist and inventor. The house is a prominent landmark, delightfully sited beside the River Neet and on dunes overlooking the main beach and Bude Harbour.

Much altered the building was vacated in 2006 and has been refurbished to become Bude’s Heritage Centre, incorporating the town’s museum, a community archive, a small gallery and reception room adjoining a restaurant, and new toilets.

The Castle has had its principal rooms restored, and period features replaced. A lift and a new public staircase have been discreetly installed to serve the first floor. A two-storey extension was required to house the toilets and administrative offices which replaced dilapidated outbuildings. The extension is cut into the dunes and reflects the form of the existing building whilst being contemporary. The building has been fully re-serviced.
Large Picture
powered by Acefolio
Content © 2000-2010 Andrew Catto Architects Ltd - all rights reserved - Company 5679860 registered in England.